Thursday, September 8, 2011

Struggling through The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony

The twelve gods of Olympus agreed to appear as entirely human. It was the first time a group of divinities had renounced abstraction and animal heads. The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony, page 54. This quote reminded me of the overall theme of our class the origin of myth and in essence life. It is very rare that you can actually find an origin due to the general tendencies of things to be based on prior events. This quote tells of a monumental event in the role of gods in human life. the gods by taking the form of humans have put themselves on the same level as humans. This transformation to the human form also allows the gods to interact with human kind in a way previously not capable.  


While I struggle to read this book I find that The Magus is substantially easier to read. in fact when our professor told use that we would not be able to put the book down he was not kidding. I found my self reading till 2 this morning totally obliviious to the time. The main pull int the book at this point for me is the old man really physic or is he just crazy? Personally I would like to believe that he is and due to the thickness of the book I have a feeling that he is truly physic. 


In class on the 7th we discussed the different parts of a story beginning middle and end. In addition to this we were asked to find an origin myth and to discuss our reaction to learning that Santa is not real.


Unfortunately my story of learning that santa is not real is rather uneventful. when i was 8 years old i caught my parents putting the presents under the tree and to there surprise i asked if they needed any help. I can not really explain my reaction but I think that i never really believed in Santa. This was not my parents fault i have just always been a very logical thinker even at a young age.    


As an after thought in chapter three of the Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony Hercules is discussed and compared to Theseus. As i read this I realized that i really did not know anything about Hercules besides what Disney told me. I plan on filling this void in knowledge as soon as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment